Parent & Family Involvement
Parent and family involvement is a great way to promote your child’s learning and support the school. We welcome everyone! ¡Bienvenidos a todos!
- VOLUNTEER! One way to volunteer to is an active member in the City High Family Association and attend the monthly meetings. (See info below.) Another way is to sign up for one or more of the many volunteer opportunities throughout the year. Be a parent driver for a field trip. Bring breakfast on a Wednesday morning. Help with graduation set up, clean up, and reception. Look out for announcements in the weekly e-newsletter. Volunteer opportunities and sign-up forms are updated regularly in the Volunteer Opportunities section of our website.
- PARTICIPATE! The City High Family Association coordinates parent volunteer efforts to support the school community. The group’s activities include organizing the Volunteer Work Day (9/22/12), quarterly staff appreciation lunches, weekly breakfast snacks for staff, and helping with events such as the Pennington Street Block Party and graduation. The group also spearheads the Parent Fund for the annual School Tax Credit Campaign each fall. For 2012-2013 school year, City High Families will meet monthly on the second Wednesday from 5:30-7:00 p.m. To learn more about the group, contact Leslie Cho Newman.
- HAVE A VOICE! Parents can play a key role in school-wide governance by serving on the Community Advisory Council. The Community Advisory Council includes student, parent, staff, board, and community representatives. The group’s main purpose: to advise school and board leadership on issues pertaining to the school’s mission and goals, and to serve as the school’s NCLB Planning Committee by reviewing school-wide data and providing feedback on academic programs. Contact person: Carrie Brennan. For the 2012-2013 school year, the CAC will meet monthly on the fourth Wednesday from 5:30-7:00 p.m. News posts about the CAC this year: September 2012 Recruitment, November 2012 Update.
- JOIN YOUR STUDENT! Parents and guardians are important members of the City High School community. Parents are expected to join their son or daughter each semester for roundtables and division gateway exhibitions, and are invited to come to school for academic showcases and performances throughout the year.
- ATTEND FAMILY NIGHTS! Parents, guardians, grandparents, siblings, and City High School students are invited to join us for a light dinner and presentations and performances by City High School staff and students on Wednesday evenings from 5:30-7:00 p.m. throughout the school year. Family Nights are part of our Extended Day Learning program. Family members of students participating in these programs are especially encouraged to participate; however, ALL are welcome! For details about what might be happening on a Wednesday night at City High School, check out our on-line school calendar or contact Krista Niles.
- STAY CONNECTED! Parents can access City High School’s student information system, PowerSchool, to track their son or daughter’s academic progress and attendance. PowerSchool is a web-based program that can be viewed from any computer connected to the internet. For directions and username/password, visit the INSIDE city high link designed for families and students. Bookmark this site and check it regularly for updates; or even better – use subscription features such as the on-line calendar and school news posts. Parents can also connect to City High School on Facebook and Twitter.