Parent & Family Involvement
Parent and family involvement is a great way to promote your child’s learning and support the school. We welcome everyone! ¡Bienvenidos a todos!
- VOLUNTEER! Become a member of the City High Family Association and attend the organizational meetings. You can also just sign up for one of the many volunteer opportunities throughout the year. Be a parent driver for a field trip. Contribute to a staff appreciation lunch. Help with graduation. Look out for volunteer requests in the school’s weekly e-newsletter.
- PARTICIPATE! The City High Family Association coordinates parent volunteer efforts for the school, such as organizing volunteer work days, staff appreciation lunches, and helping with the Pennington Street Block Party and graduation.
- HAVE A VOICE! Parents can play a key role in school-wide governance by serving on the School Board, which includes student, parent, staff, board, and community representatives, and is facilitated by the City High School principal. The school board makes decisions on school-level policies and practices, helps maintain a focus on the school’s mission and goals, reviews school-wide data and provides feedback on academic programs, and serves as the school’s Title I Planning Committee, among other functions. All school board meetings will be held on Thursday Family Nights (see below). Dates for the 2017 spring semester are: January 26, March 2, April 6, and May 4. For more information, contact Principal Brett Goble.
- JOIN YOUR STUDENT! Parents and guardians are important members of the City High School community. Parents are expected to join their son or daughter each semester for roundtables and division gateway exhibitions, and are invited to come to school for academic showcases and performances throughout the year.
- ATTEND FAMILY NIGHTS! Parents, guardians, grandparents, siblings, and City High School students are invited to join us for a light dinner and presentations and performances by City High School staff and students on Thursday evenings throughout the school year. Family Nights are part of our Extended Day Learning program. For details about what might be happening on a Thursday night at City High School, check out our on-line school calendar or contact VOICES Coordinator Tom Moore.
- STAY CONNECTED! Parents can access City High School’s student information system, PowerSchool, to track their son or daughter’s academic progress and attendance. PowerSchool is a web-based program that can be viewed from any computer connected to the internet. For directions and username/password, visit the INSIDE city high link designed for families and students. Bookmark this site and check it regularly for updates; or even better – use subscription features such as the on-line calendar and school news posts. Parents can also connect to City High School on Facebook and Twitter. For more information and guidance on using technology to stay connected, contact IT Director Mike Moore.